<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, July 17, 2004

ONE OF US IS EVIL, AND I'M SURE IT'S NOT ME:
A PSA just popped up on my TV screen courtesy VH1, with some hapless schlub's office mates singing "Happy Birthday To You" while he sits in front of a cake with the "34" candles on it. He blows out the candles and falls face-first into the cake, presumably dead. The workmates look at each other sheepishly and wander off.

I admit, at this point I'm snickering in anticipation for the inevitable tagline, and oh, you bastards, but they gave me one: "Because of AIDS, the average life expectancy in Namibia is 34." That's a sobering statistic, no arguement, but it didn't have much of an impact because I was pissed off that VH1 was toying with my emotions. They tricked me into laughing at the AIDS plight on the African continent, and now I'm going to HELL. And I'm sure the Hell version of Time-Warner Cable only gets I Love the 90s.

But no, I'm not the one going to hell, because the public service arm of VH1 used an office full of middle-class white people to demonstrate the plight of Africa's fight against AIDS. Great job, guys.
 
|| Eric 2:27 PM#

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?