<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 01, 2004

NO SCREAMING THIS TIME, PLEASE: Howard Dean is trying to get a talk show.

I'm leaving a blank line to allow that to sink in.

Dean and Larry Lyttle, the guy who once headed up the company that gave us Judge Judy, have been shopping the idea around, and since Lyttle has a production deal with Paramount Domestic TV, that seems to be the obvious place to pick them up. Unfortunately, the most unsettling thing I've read on this potential show was straight from Lyttle's mouth (my emphasis, as always):

"The last thing we're going to talk about is politics. He'd look at things like: What happens if you lose a sibling? What about when you're victimized by not having health care?"

You've got a politician as your on-air man and he's not going to be talking about politics? I'm wondering if he's missed the point of having Dean in the first place. That's like hiring Bonnie Raitt and asking her to put away the guitar and juggle. I'd kind of hope you'd play to your host's strengths when you're casting around for a format, but I guess I'm 2,500 miles from Hollywood both mentally and physically.

If this show makes air the way it's laid out above, I give it six months tops before it goes out of production.

(Edit for analogy adjustment...)
 
|| Eric 2:39 PM#

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?