<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 12, 2004

SOME NETWORKS JUST CAN'T CATCH A BREAK: I had an itch to mention the OutKast performance of "Hey Ya" at the Grammys, and how the overblown Native American trappings--complete with a lime green teepee that shot out sparks--would come down on somebody soon enough. Then I thought better of it, not because I didn't think it would cause offense, but it was one too many overblown production numbers for Andre and...um...the other guy. Just a blip on the radar compared to the other ridiculous goings on, I figured.

Whoops. Wrong again. The San Francisco-based Native American Cultural Center is calling for a boycott of CBS, NARAS (the Grammy organizers), and Arista Records.

I agreed with the group's chairman, Andrew Brother Elk, that somebody should've pointed out how potentially damaging the production was, but I also got the feeling that quality control wasn't the strongest thing going at Sunday's ceremony. I'm sure they were preoccupied with keeping the performers clothed and the language clean.

As always with these types of stories, at least one quote makes me cringe: "If people were wearing yarmulkes and the Hasidic dress and bumping and grinding, we would see that as ridiculous, but for some reason we don't see what OutKast did as ridiculous," Brother Elk said.

I've caught at least a half-dozen "Hey Ya" TV performances since the fall, each one goofier than the last, and that's why I hope the yarmulke quote doesn't get back to OutKast. It might give them ideas.

CALL IT PROTEST ART (NOT A CRY FOR HELP): Since my stat tracker indicates it's really pumping up my hitrate this week, I'd like to add the following to this update...

(melodramatic clearing of the throat)

TITTY TITTY TITTY. JANET JACKSON JANET JACKSON. Oh yeah, and PICTURES.

For those of you who found me for the first time because of this lame stunt: Yeah, I talk about it a few paragraphs down the page. No, you won't find any pictures of it here. Thank you for your patronage.

(deep bow as the crowd hisses and throws overripe tomatoes)
 
|| Eric 6:25 AM#

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?