<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 30, 2003

TODAY'S TRUE STORY: It was an early day today, so I found myself driving home in non-rush traffic, which gave my mind a bit more real estate on which to roam around. I've always been a big proponent of "mind over matter", so I decided to put it to one of my periodic tests. I fixed one thought in my mind on the way home: When I get there, there will be a check in the mailbox. Not one of those fake junk mail checks, friends; this check fixed in my mind was going to be a real check that could be taken to any bank and cashed, without bank examiners calling me up to tell me there's a problem as they clear their throats nervously. This check was going to be the real deal.

Hell, the check is going to be there? What kind of thinking is this? Let's refine that thought. The check is already there. All I have to do is drive home with this unshakable conviction in my mind, open the mailbox, and pull it out.

I pulled into the gravel driveway, cut the ignition, and went straight for the mailbox. I opened the flap and looked inside. There was one letter only.

With trembling hands, I pulled it out. Through the address window, I saw those magic words: PAY TO THE ORDER OF...

(dramatic pause)

I looked at the address. It was made out to my mother.

As it turned out, it was a check from a long-distance company. If you cash it, you'd change your long distance service.

Next time I try that, I'm being a bit more specific.
 
|| Eric 11:30 PM#

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?