<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 13, 2003

JUST FOR THE RECORD, from what I've seen in the TV ads I have very strong misgivings about the new Hulk movie. Maybe I'm spoiled, but the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferigno TV series set the standard for what you can do with real actors when it comes to the character. I also feel that the way the Hulk looks in this productions shows why the screwed-up anatomical proportions used in modern comics should never be literalized, especially on the big screen. But mostly it's because the big green guy look like a character in a video game instead of a live critter, and that makes a huge amount of difference in my book. Just because you can make the Hulk all-CGI doesn't mean it's necessary.

I have little doubt the opening weekend will be huge, but that's a false pointer of quality anyway. I think Mark Evanier pointed out one time that the march towards style over substance coincided with the moving of film openings from during the week to the weekend, and that skewed the opening box office to young guys. So the film trade pitches to where the money goes. As a guy who, for the most part, was never really into teen culture (even when I was one), that makes my head hurt, which is why I've stayed out of the cineplex for a long time. I get enough loud and shrill in life without paying $8 at the box office for it.

I won't be seeing this one in the theater, but I rarely see 'em in the theaters these days anyway. I'm poor like that.
 
|| Eric 2:53 AM#

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?