<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU, I've just been in an odd work-related mood lately, and I always hold my mud as best as I can. Here's the story, though: after my unexpected five day weekend, I managed to put in almost a full day yesterday (after jumping surveys after lunch). There's a severe slowdown (or maybe a refocusing) at our branch, at least on the day shift; there were about seven surveys going on the day I started, while yesterday there was just the one. It was a very empty building yesterday.

The other problem with yesterday was entirely me...because I crashed and burned on Sunday afternoon, I got exactly 20 minutes of sleep Sunday night. When I don't have to wake up early in the morning, I don't wake up in the morning (that's my Bizarro-land anti-ethic going), but the side effect of that is rewiring your internal clock when you go back to a set schedule. It gave me a nice tightness behind the eyes for the whole day, and that boiling feeling at the bottom of my throat didn't help either. If you've never had to do a job where you had to think on your feet while pushing through a mental and physical fog, try not to put yourself in that spot. I remember fresh out of high school working a Sunday fast food shift after a no-sleep night and with a fever building to a crescendo; the day finished with a customer buying $5 of food with a $50 bill and me trying three times to get the right change. It was ridiculous, but so was I. These things tend to happen sometimes, but they don't have to happen.

I called last night to be sure I was on the list for tomorrow, and sure enough, I wasn't. On top of that, a crew out to widen the road dug up the driveway, which has left me stranded until maybe a half an hour ago. So this week is also starting to look like a write-off, except for the fact that I got a full seven hours sleep last night (instead of the afternoon). Hopefully things will work out.
 
|| Eric 12:28 PM#

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?